"Aria" Inspired SteamPunk Style 04/01/2011
One of my best friends, Karen, loves "Pretty Little Liars" as much as my Sis-In-Law, Amy, and I do. We decided today that Aria is our favorite and that her fashion leans toward the Lolita and SteamPunk styles quite often. I fashioned a SteamPunk outfit for Karen (in my head) after the beautiful homecoming dress Aria is wearing in the majority of the photos above. If she likes it enough, maybe I will make it for her to wear to the fantasy convention in August, otherwise she is wearing her ren faire outfit.
This is what I would do to make it more Steamy than Lolita:
In my head, I saw this dress (2a) as being red with a black lace overlay (so it looked more burgundy, but I guess it was just the lighting). I also thought I remembered that it was long sleeved (3). I want it to keep it's high collar (2b), but maybe I would make it a teeny bit more frilly but not quite so exaggerated as this (4), somewhere in between would be good. The clutch Aria is carrying (2a) is cute, but to make it more fitting, I would go with a Reticule style bag (5). Some cute heels and spats (6) would be essential. And for hair, I think I would just add a pretty feathered facinator (7); Karen has a very cute, but modern, A-line hairstyle, and this, along with some well placed finger waves might just make it work.
1. Red Dress by KMKostumes on Etsy
2. Aria' Pretty Little Liars Homecoming Costume by Mandi Line, Dress Originally by Bebe
3. Black Lace Long Sleeve Overlay Mini Dress by flirtcatalogue.com
4. Annie II Neo-Victorian Neck Ruff by misfitchic on Etsy
5. Velvet Flocked Taffeta Drawstring Purse by KMKostumes on Esty
6. Spats by faitavec on Etsy (the pic is actually of these spats from the same shop)
7. Burlesque Red and Black flapper style Hair piece by olgaitaly on Etsy
Of course we've got to "steam it up" with the accessories. All are from the following Etsy shops:
1. "Gearings" in Ruby Red and Brass by noveaumotley
2. Fire Opal Ring by earthfire studios
3. Sanguine Gears Ring by Girl2Goddess
4. Angelique Ruby Red Gothic Choker by DarkEleganceDesigns (in lieu of the above ruff or high collar)
5. Mechanical Key Pendant by SMStudio
6. NeoVictorian Cuff by edmdesigns (I would probably rather have some wings than the skull and crossbones on top)
Lastly, I might add this Bolero by maryandangelika on Etsy to make it a little more modest for Karen's sake :).